6 mins read
There are 24 hours in a day. Many of these hours can be taken up by work, family, and personal time. However, when it comes to exercise, many people simply believe they do not have enough time in their day to workout. The common statement “I didn’t have enough time today,” is just an excuse. However, if you truly want to make fitness your priority, you will find time in your busy schedule to do so.
Think about this, it’s New Year’s Eve and you made a resolution that you will exercise at least 4-5 times a week in order to lose weight. You are excited to start your fitness journey. You even start eating all the right foods. However, a month into your journey, you give up. Why?
Well there are several reasons why you might give up…
- Not knowing what to do
- Having unrealistic goals
- You aren’t seeing results
- You are bored of your fitness routine
- You are not willing to put in the effort
Many people have a workout schedule that is not realistic, they start out big too quickly. When you begin working out, your goal might be to go to exercise 5 days a week. Of course, this is possible but, what happens when you work late, or your body gets sore, you decide to take a day off and get some rest, and then you will never get back up because it feels right to rest for a couple of days since you worked out so hard for 5 days. This can cause you to fail and give up.
The Common Misconception
Many people believe that you need fancy equipment and a very expensive gym membership to meet your fitness goals. However, this is not the case. You can be healthy and fit from the comfort of your home or outside in the nature.
Many exercises can be done without using heavy equipment, such as body weight exercises (squats, lunges, push-ups). Workouts that include yoga, running, and light-weight exercises can be performed anywhere and at any time. Whether you like to run or do yoga, you need one thing to make sure you do not give up on your fitness journey and that is… commitment.
What is commitment and how will it help you to succeed?
Commitment; a willingness to give most of your energy and time to something you want to do. Many people don’t like it when they feel forced to do certain things. Commitments turn into obligations because they take time and then into chores, and no one likes doing chores – well I especially don’t. Commitment can especially be hard when you are doing something you promised to do by yourself.
How to stay committed to your goals
Be around people who motivate and inspire you.
Having other people to motivate you, inspire you, and have the same goals is very helpful in your journey. One of the many things you need to know is, getting in shape does not happen over night, and you need to be willing to give up your time to achieve your fitness goal.
One important thing to keep in mind…
Seeing results takes TIME. You cannot expect to meet your fitness goals overnight. It takes time, patience, consistency, hard work and the willingness to achieve your goals. Don’t wait until New Year’s Resolutions to start your workout journey, commit and start now. You will thank yourself for starting now a few years down the road.
You do not need treadmills, ellipticals, or heavy weights to be fit. There is so much information out there about working out, but start off by learning the basics step-by-step. By learning the basics of fitness, you can lead a healthy and fit lifestyle.
Specific actionable Steps you can take right now
- Write down your goals and be specific. For example, “I want to lose 10 pounds in 2 months”
- Make a workout schedule. For example, “on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I will run for 30 minutes and perform 5 different body weight exercises. On Tuesday and Thursday, I will do yoga for 30 minutes”.
- Keep a journal and track your progress. By tracking your progress as you go, you can see your results and see how far you’ve come which will keep you motivated to keep going.
- Keep an extra pair of workout clothes with you. If you go to work every day, keep an extra pair of workout clothes with you so that you have no excuses to not go workout, instead of going home and watching TV.
- Be consistent. The best way to see results is by being consistent. Most people give up because they do not see results right away, but if you are consistent, results will come naturally.
- Enjoy the journey – make working out a lifestyle
Here at Ello Fit, we make working out easy, fun, and uncomplicated. Working out should not be intimidating. By being around people who have the same goals as you, you are more likely to stay committed to your goals. We will provide you with the right resources to help you through your fitness journey. For more information, visit us at ellofit.com